Understanding Storm Damage
High winds can tear and remove shingles, leaving the roof deck, underlayment or old shingles from a previous roof exposed to the elements.
Wind can also lift and curl shingles by breaking the seal that bonds them together, leaving your roof vulnerable to wind-driven rain.
Hail can leave dents or pockmarks in shingles, dislodging the protective granules that protect against rain and sun damage.
YOUR STORM DAMAGE CHECKLIST
So you think you need a new roof. Don’t worry. This helpful guide will walk you through everything you need to know — and everything you need to do — to make your roof replacement go smoothly.
- Assess your roof for storm damage. Walk around the perimeter of your home and photograph or take note of any damage. Obvious signs of damage may include dented, torn, curled or missing shingles.
- Check gutters, roofing accessories and windows. Though your shingles may appear undamaged, dents in gutters and roof vents may point to hidden roof damage. Also be sure to inspect windows for cracks, loose weatherstripping and torn screens.
- Inspect the area around your home. Check for fallen tree limbs, broken fences and damage to lawn furniture and exterior decorations. Look closely at flat surfaces such as patios and decks for signs of hail damage.
- Look for leaks and water spots in your attic and ceilings. Even though your roof may appear undamaged from the outside, wind and hail may have caused leaks that can lead to problems later. Check ceilings and light fixtures for signs of water and inspect your attic closely with a flashlight.
- Call us. After a storm, there may be a lot of contractors competing for your attention. Make sure you choose a contractor you can trust to assess your damage, provide an estimate and replace your roof using proven products.
- Call your homeowner’s insurance company. Refer to your notes, report a claim with your insurance company and arrange for an inspection.
NOTE: We recommend that you do not attempt to climb up on your roof. Especially after a storm, the roof structure may be weakened and shingles may be slippery. If you suspect roof damage, call a professional contractor you can trust to assist you with your assessment.
If you see any of these signs give us a call at 865-851-5002 and we will get you a quote in 24 hours!